If your PS4™ system storage doesn’t have enough space to install a game, you can use an external storage device to add more game storage. You can download games and add-ons from PlayStation®Store directly to your external storage device or move games from your PS4™ to the storage device. Storing game content on an external drive lets you take your games with you.
Requirements for an External Storage Device
- A PS4™ system with system software 4.50 or newer.
- An external storage device with:
- USB 3.0 or later
- Minimum of 250 GB and a maximum of 8 TB capacity.
- Only one external device can be used at a time. You will get an error message, if the same application is installed on the system storage and the external storage device.
- The external storage device must be connected directly into the PS4™.
You Can Store Game Content on the External Device
- Applications and add-ons, even if the related application is installed in system storage.
- Updates to games, if stored on the external device.
You Can't Store
- Application saved game data, themes, or screenshot/video clips to extended storage.
How to Setup an External Storage Device to Store PS4™ Games
- An application can only be stored in one location, either on your PS4™ system storage or on the external storage.
- You can save add-on content to the extended storage hosting the application.
1. Format Your External Storage Device
Be aware that formatting your storage device will delete all the data. If you want to keep the data, you should back it up on a different device.
- From your PS4™, go to [Settings] > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices].
- Select the [USB storage device] and click [Format as Extended Storage].
2. Change the Application Install Location
You cannot change the application install location during a download, so make sure you have [Extended Storage] selected before you start.
- From your PS4™, go to [Settings] > [Storage], and then press the OPTIONS button.
- Select [Application Install Location] > [Extended Storage].
- Applications will now be set to install in extended storage. (See image below)
How to Move Applications Between External Storage and Your PS4™
You can move saved applications between PS4™ system storage and extended storage, by changing settings on your PS4™.
Follow the steps below to move your applications properly:
- From your PS4™, go to [Settings] > [Storage].
- Select the storage (system or extended) that has the application(s) you want to move.
- Select [Applications], then the application you want to move.
- Press the OPTIONS button and select [Move to Extended Storage] or [Move to System Storage].
- Check-off the applications to move and then select [Move].
- Select [Ok] or [Cancel].
Applications installed or stored on an external drive appear in the content area, just as the system stored content is.
How to Properly Disconnect an External Storage Device
Disconnecting the external storage device improperly may cause corruption or loss of data. Make sure you do not disconnect during the shut down process or putting the PS4™ system into rest mode. Follow the instructions below to properly disconnect your external device.
- From the [Quick Menu], select [Sound/Devices] > [Stop Using Extended Storage].
- Select [Ok].
- It is safe to disconnect the external storage device. You get an error message if the device is disconnected improperly.
Common Errors When Using an External Storage Device
Suggestion: Use an external storage device that has at least 250 GB minimum and a maximum capacity of 8 TB.
Suggestion: Use an external storage device a USB 3.0 or newer.
Suggestion: Connect the external storage device directly to the PS4™.
Suggestion: Reformat the external storage device.
Suggestion: Reformat the external storage device again. If the error still persists, restart PS4™ and then reformat again.
- USB 3.0以上
- 250 GB以上、8 TB以下的容量